Rays Station Merlot, North Coast, 2004
Continuing a tradition. In 1865, John G. Ray, retired sea captain, opened Ray's Station (Tavern) amid the remote mountains of what is not Northern California's wine country. John was a no-frills guy and his Station was a local legend for its rugged, no-nonsense hospitality. Libations were always flowing, the food always filling and the accommodations rough. Our Merlot comes primarily from our own hillside vineyards near the original Ray's Station in Alexander Valley. It's a bold, rich Merlot laden with black cherry flavors and a touch of caramel.